My First School Garden Post



Hello Friends,
Well it is Saturday night and what am I doing? Sitting at my computer and watching a rerun of "Close Encounters". Sigh........ I will be soooo happy when my husband gets the beans in the field! Then hopefully, my days of being a farm widow will soon be over!

So, while my husband has been so busy, I have been busy, too! As I wrote in my previous post, I have been spending HOURS working in my yard and still have so much to do but I am happy with what I have accomplished so far. It is such a wonderful feeling to be able to work in my yard and not feel the need to write lesson plans or literacy centers or math tubs. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my job and LOVE planning and teaching, but it is so nice to take a break for awhile and think about other things...

A few weeks ago, I met with the second grade Brownies at my school and we planned our summer garden. We had 2 wonderful Dads step forward to build 2 more raised beds and another wonderful family donated the lumber and soil. The girls wanted to plant a Pizza Garden and a Jack in the Beanstalk garden. In our pizza garden, we planted sweet basil, oregano, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. In our Jack and the Beanstalk garden, we planted bush beans, sunflower seeds, and sweet corn.  When we left school on Monday, our garden was intact. Well...................

This morning, I met with one of the Brownies and her Mom. We saw that the bunnies had eaten all our baby beans... boo hoo. We also could not find any sunflower sprouts. But everything else was healthy and beautiful! So, we decided to change the name of our garden to "Cinderella's Garden." To do this, we replaced the beans with pumpkin plants and planted a Magic Fountain flower and a  pretty purple flower of which I cannot remember the name!

I think the garden looks great and can't wait to track its growth this summer!







Until next time!

Blessings,