Please Pray For Illlinois and Five For Friday

Hello Friends!


 1.  I begin this post with a request for prayers for my fellow Illinoisians.


My first teaching job was in a little school called Gifford Elementary School in Gifford, Illinois. I taught second grade there for 7 years. Last week, this small town was hit by a devastating tornado. The people of this town are strong, but they have many, many months of clean up. I am asking for prayers for the people of Gifford as well as the town of Washington, Illinois near Peoria. 


Because this devastation has hit so close to home, Amanda, from Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten, Kyp from Mrs. McLaren's Little Super Heroes, and I are working with TPT to raise funds for the families that are in so much need right now. As we get the details worked out, I will share with you how you can help!

2.  We have been busily working in our literacy and math centers and trying to finish up our Native American unit.

I am so proud of what a great job my little ones did on illustrating their Native American book! I am also proud of what they came away with after doing this unit. It was my intent that they understand that we were learning about people of the past and that not all Native Americans lived the same way. Woo hoo! They rocked today when I we were doing our end of unit discussion!

Here are a few photos of their cute illustrations!















http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Native-Americans-Make-a-Book-and-Mini-Unit-165447




3.  We also do a mini unit on horses. We begin with reading "The Mud Pony" by Caron Lee Cohen. In this book, a young Native American boy forms a pony from mud who turns into a real horse which guides the boy into a strong adult.

Our students use white Crayola Modeling Compound to create their own horse. We use acrylic paint (yes, acrylic!) to paint the horses and then when they are dry, they add details with yarn, felt, google eyes, and upholstery trim. LOVE this project!!













4.  Look at these cute turkeys we made today!




5. I made this quick "Gobble, Gobble Bump" game this week for math tubs! My kinders loved it! They had so much bumping and building that they didn't even realize they were practicing addition facts!



  It's free in my TPT store! Click to image to download it!



http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Gobble-Gobble-Bump-Dice-Game-986231





Take care, my Friends and have a wonderful, Thanksgiving holiday! Hug your family close!

Make sure the you hop on over to Doodle Bugs Teaching!

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2013/11/five-for-friday-november-22.html


Until next time!

Blessings,

No comments

Post a Comment